What is Internet ?
The internet (the Net) is a globally connected network system that uses TCP/IP to transmit data via various types of media. The internet is a network of global exchanges – including private, public, business, academic and government networks – connected by guided, wireless and fiber-optic technologies.
What is Web Browser ?
A web browser (commonly referred to as a browser) is a software application for retrieving, presenting and traversing information resources on the World Wide Web. Some of the famous browsers are Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Bolt, UC Browser and Internet Explorer.
What is Internet Search Engine ?
A web search engine is designed to search for information on the
World Wide Web and FTP servers. The search results are generally
presented in a list of results and are often called hits. The
information may consist of web pages, images, information and other
types of files. Some search engines also mine data available in
databases or open directories. Some search engine are:
What is Internet E-mail ?
Electronic mail, commonly called email or e-mail, is a method of exchanging digital messages from an author to one or more recipients. Modern email operates across the Internet or other computer networks.
An email message consists of three components, the message envelope, the message header, and the message body. The message header contains control information, including, minimally, an originator’s email address and one or more recipient addresses. Usually descriptive information is also added, such as a subject header field and a message submission date/time stamp.
To send and receive e-mail you need to create a e-mail account with the help of e-mail services provider like YAHOO,
GMAIL, HOTMAIL etc.
What is the Web ?
The World Wide Web—usually called the Web for short—is a collection of different websites you can access through the Internet. A website is made up of related text, images, and other resources. Websites can resemble other forms of media—like newspaper articles or television programs—or they can be interactive in a way that’s unique to computers.
The purpose of a website can be almost anything: a news website, an advertisement, an online library, a platform for sharing images or videos.
What is URLs and the address bar ?
Each website has a unique address, called a URL (short for Uniform Resource Locator). It’s like a street address that tells your browser where to go on the Internet. When you type a URL into the browser’s address bar and press Enter on your keyboard, the browser will load the page associated with that URL.
In the example below, we’ve typed www.preptoz.com into the address bar.
What are Social networking websites ?
Social networking websites are another way to connect and share with your family and friends online. Rather than sharing with just a few people over email, social networks make it easier to connect and share with many people at the same time. Facebook is the world’s largest social networking site, with more than 1 billion users worldwide.
What are Chat and instant messaging applications ?
Chat and instant messaging (IM) are short messages sent and read in real time, allowing you to converse more quickly and easily than email. These are generally used when both (or all) people are online, so your message can be read immediately. By comparison, emails won’t be seen until recipients check their inboxes.
Examples of instant messaging applications include Yahoo Messenger and Google Hangouts. Sites like Gmail and Facebook, even allow you to chat within your web browser.
What are different types of Internet Service ?
The type of Internet service you choose will largely dependon which Internet service providers (ISPs) serve your area, along with the types of service they offer. Here are some common types of Internet service.
- Dial-up:This is generally the slowest type of Internet connection, and you should probably avoid it unless it is the only service available in your area. Dial-up Internet uses your phone line, so unless you have multiple phone lines you will not be able to use your landline and the Internet at the same time.
- DSL: DSL service uses a broadband connection, which makes it much faster than dial-up. DSL connects to the Internet via a phone line but does not require you to have a landline at home. And unlike dial-up, you’ll be able to use the Internet and your phone line at the same time.
- Cable: Cable service connects to the Internet via cable TV, although you do not necessarily need to have cable TV in order to get it. It uses a broadband connection and can be faster than both dial-up and DSL service; however, it is only available where cable TV is available.
- Satellite: A satellite connection uses broadband but does not require cable or phone lines; it connects to the Internet through satellites orbiting the Earth. As a result, it can be used almost anywhere in the world, but the connection may be affected by weather patterns. Satellite connections are also usually slower than DSL or cable.
- 3G and 4G: 3G and 4G service is most commonly used with mobile phones, and it connects wirelessly through your ISP’s network. However, these types of connections aren’t always as fast as DSL or cable. They will also limit the amount of data you can use each month, which isn’t the case with most broadband plans.
What hardwares are required for Internet access ?
Modem: The primary piece of hardware you need is a modem. Modem stands for Modulator-Demodulator. It is used to connect computers for communication via telephone lines.
Router: A router is a hardware device that allows you to connect several computers and other devices to a single Internet connection, which is known as a home network. Many routers are wireless, which allows you to create a home wireless network,commonly known as a Wi-Fi network.
What is the Cloud ?
The cloud is the Internet—more specifically, it’s all of the things you can access remotely over the Internet. When something is in the cloud, it means it’s stored on Internet servers instead of your computer’s hard drive.