To bring about qualitative improvement in education under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA), various interventions have been made such as in-service teacher training, curriculum renewal, revision of textbooks, continuous and comprehensive evaluation of students, close monitoring of schools and provision of academic support to teachers on a regular basis.

SCERTs and DIETs are expected to provide academic support to teachers through block and cluster level functionaries. Efforts have been made to build teachers’ capacity through a series of training programmes covering several pedagogical issues to improve teaching learning transaction at classroom level.

Block Resource Centres (BRCs) and Cluster Resource Centres (CRCs) were established in each block of every district under SSA to conduct in-service teacher training and to provide academic support to teachers and schools on a regular basis as well as to help in community mobilization activities.

Cluster resource centers have been set up at the sub block levels. However 77% of the block resource centers and 45% of the cluster resource centers were located more than 3 kilometers from the schools.

Education department is on the top in the hierarchy

➢ Education Department supervises the Block Office and in reverse Block Office provides information regarding quality improvement in schools.

➢ It consolidates and oversees CRCs work and training section. It is requisite to role as a venue for teacher training, material development, community mobilization, action research works and organization of different activities or competitions among teachers and students.

➢ Block Office supervises the Cluster Resource center and in reverse CRC provides information regarding quality improvement in schools.

➢ Cluster Resource Person can be thought of as the person who maintains relationships with a group of schools and facilitates a process of engagement with schoolsteachers-parents-children, in particular through the activities of monitoring, supervision, mentoring and data collection. These are activities where the state reaches and maintains regular contact with the school or field.

➢ Both CRCs and BRCs focus on school improvement primarily through enhancing school identity and academic functionality. CRP may meet once in a while for a talk or a workshop. But regular planning and review will take place at the school level

School Management Committees

Under Section 21 of the RTE Act, all schools are required to constitute a School Management Committee (SMC). The role of a SMC is to manage, monitor and support a school in its functioning, and to ensure that it is meeting requirements as outlined under the RTE Act.

SMCs are made up of elected members of the local community. 75% of members should be parents or guardians (the other 25% should be made up of teachers, students and members of the local authority). Socially excluded communities should be represented on SMCs in proportion to their population in the village and 50% of SMC members should be women.

School Management Committees have the responsibility of performing the following functions:

  • Monitoring the working of the school.
  • Preparing and recommending a School Development Plan.
  • Monitoring the utilisation of the grants received from the appropriate government or local authority.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *