RBI Monetary Policy:
- The Monetary Policy Committee of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 9th Oct 2020 kept the repo rate unchanged at 4%, said RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das.
- Consequently, the reverse repo rate, at which the RBI borrows from lenders, stood at 3.35%.
- No change in 4th Dec 2020 policy meeting.
- On October 11, 2020, Rafal Nadal won the French Open, 2020 beating Novak Djokovic.
- The Ministry of Sports has launched the Fit India Freedom Run Event, a country-wide event that promises to become a fitness phenomenon in the coming days in the country.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has confirmed that the IPL 2020 Tournament is going to be held in UAE from September 19 and it will end on November 10, 2020.
- Haryana to Host the Khelo India Youth Games 2021
- Hamilton Clinches Hungarian GP for the 8th time
- Australia New Zealand to jointly host FIFA Women World Cup 2023
- Viktor Axelsen wins All England Open Badminton Championships (March 2020)
- Indian cueist Pankaj Advani clinches National 6-Red Snooker Championship (March 2020)
- Australia defeats India at finals of Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 (March 2020)
- Djokovic wins Dubai Tennis Championships (March 2020)
- First Khelo India University Games to be held in Bhuwaneshwar (Feb 2020)
- Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar 2020: 1) Encouragement to Sports through Corporate Social Responsibility – Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, 2) Identification and Nurturing of Budding and Young Talent – Army Sports Institute & Lakshya Institute 3) Sports for Development – International Institute of Sports Management
Awards & Honors
- 2020 Nobel Prize in physics was awarded jointly to Roger Penrose from Britain, Reinhard Genzel from Germany, and Andrea Ghez from the US for making discoveries that have shaped our modern understanding of the universe and black holes
- Sonu Sood honored with Special Humanitarian Action Award by UNDP (Sep 2020)
- Global Himalayan Expedition won the UN Global Climate Action Award (Oct 2020)
- The Nobel Prize for Economics, 2020 was awarded to Paul R Milogrom and Robert B Wilson. (Oct 2020)
- The Nobel Prize for Peace, 2020 has been awarded to the World Food Programme. (Oct 2020)
- The Nobel Prize, 2020 was awarded to Louise Gluck for her poetry.
- The Nobel Prize for Chemistry, 2020 has been awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A Doudna for “Development of a method for Genome Editing”.
- The Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology has been jointly awarded to Harvey J Alter, Charles M Rice and Michael Houhgton. The scientists have been awarded for the discovery of Hepatitis C Virus.
- Kerala wins United Nations Award for Control of Non-Communicable Diseases (Sep 2020)
- Sir David Attenborough, who is a naturalist and broadcaster, will be awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for the year 2019.
- Martyapura Re Jamaraj (Yamaraj on earth): The short film produced in Ankushpur village of Odisha’s Ganjam district has won a special jury award at the COVID-19 International Film Festival 2020.
- Indian-American soil scientist Dr. Rattan Lal has won the prestigious 2020 World Food Prize, which is considered to be equivalent to a Nobel Prize in the field of agriculture
- Kiran Mazumdar Shaw awarded EY World Entrepreneur of the year 2020.
- Major Suman Gawani, an Indian Army officer is awarded the prestigious “United Nations Military Gender Advocate of the Year Award” on 29 May 2020.
- Three Indian journalists have been honoured with the “Pulitzer Prize 2020” in the field of feature photography. The names of the three prize winners are Dar Yasin, Mukhtar Khan, and Channi Anand.
- Odia and English writer Manoj Das received the Mystic Kalinga Literary Award (Indian and Global Languages) at the Mystic Kalinga Festival (MKF).
- The governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Shaktikanta Das awarded as ‘National Banker of the Year 2020 – Asia-Pacific‘ by The Banker magazine.
- Noted Odia poet, Nityanand Nayak will be conferred the prestigious Sarala Puraskar for his poetry work ‘Setebelaku Nathiba’, published in 2017. (Oct 2020)
- Covid Crusader Award-2020: Iqbal Singh Chahal, I.A.S., Municipal Commissioner of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, has become the first Indian bureaucrat to be recognised and receive global acknowledgment for his contribution in controlling the novel coronavirus infection in India’s financial capital and for working to ‘flatten the curve’ in congested areas of the city, including Asia’s biggest slum Dharavi.
- Dinesh Kumar Khara becomes new Chairman of SBI (Oct 2020)
- GoI appoints P.D. Vaghela as new chairman of TRAI (Sep 2020)
- Filmmaker Shekhar Kapur named FTII governing council chairman (Sep 2020)
- UNICEF appoints Ayushmann Khurrana for children’s rights campaign
- Aveek Sarkar becomes new Chairman of Press Trust of India (Sep 2020)
- Rajiv Kumar takes charge as new Election Commissioner of India (Sep 2020)
- Yoshihide Suga elected Japan’s new prime minister succeeding Shinzo Abe (Sep 2020)
- Pradeep Kumar Joshi becomes new chairman of UPSC (Aug 2020)
- G.C. Murmu becomes new Comptroller and Auditor General of India (Aug 2020)
- Manoj Sinha appointed as new LG of Jammu and Kashmir (Aug 2020)
- GoI extends KK Venugopal’s term as Attorney General of India (July 2020)
- Uday Kotak takes over as President of CII (July 2020)
- On October 7, 2020, the Government of India appointed M Rajeshwar Rao as the new Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India.
- Harivansh Narayan Singh has been re-elected as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha (RS) on September 14, 2020 by a Voice Vote.
- The government has extended the term of Ajay Tyagi as the Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) by a period of 18 months till February 2022. (Aug 2020)
- On July 1, 2020, diplomat Indra Mani Pandey was appointed as India’s next permanent representative to the United Nations.
- The current Incumbent Chief Justice is Sharad Arvind Bobde, who entered office on 18 November 2019.
- Shri Rishi Kumar Shukla, an IPS officer of 1983 Batch(Madhya Pradesh Cadre) today took over as Director, Central Bureau of Investigation. (Feb 2019)
- Former Rajasthan chief secretary DB Gupta appointed Chief Information Commissioner (Dec 2020)
- Urjit Patel, former RBI governor, appointed chairman of NIPFP (Jun 2020)
- Satya Pal Malik appointed as Meghalaya Governor (Aug 2020)
- Former J&K lieutenant governor G C Murmu appointed new CAG (Aug 2020)
- Odisha Government launches ‘Balaram Yojana’ for Landless Farmers (July 2020)
- “Mo Prativa”: Odisha-UNICEF Programme to engage children during Lock Down (Apr 2020)
- The “Mo Jeeban Programme” was launched by the Odisha Government to contain the spread of COVID-19.
- Jalsathi: Odisha Govt. launches programme to ensure supply of safe drinking water
- Odisha Millet Mission (OMM): The Odisha Government has launched the special programme for promotion of millets in tribal areas of the State.
- Odisha Government’s pioneering #5T framework for making the state’s education system conducive and engaging has won a major acclaim of NITI Aayog under its SATHE initiative.
- Utkala Dibasa, Odisha Statehood Day celebrated on April 1
- March 23rd is celebrated as Shaheed Diwas or Martyr’s Day. The Day is observed to commemorate the courage and heroism of three great young leaders Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar and Shivaram Rajguru.
Science & Tech
- The Centre Government is testing a prototype of an Indian equivalent of popular messaging application platforms, such as WhatsApp and Telegram, for secure internal use. This secure messaging app is codenamed as ‘Government Instant Messaging System (GIMS)’.
- MadhuApp: Odisha govt. launches smart learning mobile app
- The state government launched Odisha e-Hospital Management Information System (OeHMIS) in which paperwork would be reduced and diagnostic reports, prescription details and doctor’s advices would be found at the click of a mouse.
- On October 2, 2020, NASA launched a commercial spacecraft named after Indian Origin deceased NASA Astronaut “Kalpana Chawla”
- The AI enabled MyGov Corona Helpdesk has won two awards under the categories of Best Innovation at the Global Leadership Summit and festival of AI and Emerging Technology (CogX 2020).
- Aarogya Setu, a government app developed for tracking COVID-19 patients, retained its position as one of the top 10 downloaded mobile apps in the world in May 2020.
- On October 3, 2020, PM Modi is to inaugurate the Atal Tunnel, the world longest high-altitude tunnel.
- NITI Aayog, QCI launch ‘National Program and Project Management Policy Framework’ for infrastructure sector. (Oct 2020)
- NITI Aayog & AWS Launch India’s First Cloud Innovation Center (Oct 2020)
- Malabar Naval Exercise 2020: The Quad group Navies, India, US, Japan, and Australia, have started the second phase of the Arabian Sea exercise under the Malabar exercise in Nov 2020. While India is with its Vikramaditya aircraft carrier, the American aircraft carrier Nimitz will undertake four days of maneuvers on Australia and Japan’s naval fronts.
- India, Singapore and Thailand recently concluded their trilateral naval exercise SITMEX-20. This is the second edition of SITMEX. Hosted by the Republic of Singapore Navy from November 21-22, the exercise was held in the Andaman Sea.
- India kick starts two-day naval drill with Russia in eastern Indian Ocean ( Dec 2020)
- India, Vietnam to conduct 2-day naval exercise in South China Sea (Dec 2020)
- Hrithik Roshan was conferred Best Actor award for his film Super 30 at the 10th Dada Saheb Phalke Film Festival 2020, Delhi NCR, India. (Feb 2020)
- OSCAR 2020: The South Korean comedy thriller “Parasite” made history, becoming the first foreign-language film to win best picture.
- OSCAR 2020: Joaquin Phoenix won best actor for “Joker,” while Renée Zellweger won best actress for “Judy.”
- Odisha govt renames North University as Maharaja Sriram Chandra Bhanja Deo University (Dec 2020)
- Odisha govt renames Bilung village after popular folk song Rangabati (July 2020)
- Ministry of Human Resource Development, MHRD, officially renamed as ‘Ministry of Education‘ ( Aug 2020)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led govt has renamed the Shipping Ministry as the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways. (Nov 2020)
- The central government on June 3 approved to rename the Kolkata Port Trust as Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port trust.
- Government renames IDSA as ‘Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses’ (Feb 2020)
- Maharashtra govt renames Aurangabad airport after Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj ( Mar 2020)