RBI Monetary Policy:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released the Monetary Policy Report (MPR) for the month of August 2021. Unchanged Policy Rates:
- Repo Rate – 4%.
- Reverse Repo Rate – 3.35%
- Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth for 2021-22 has been retained at 9.5%.
- OCT 2021
- Monetary Policy Committee of Reserve Bank of India (@RBI) keeps repo rate unchanged at 4% and reverse repo rate at 3.35%
- RBI increased GDP forecast for FY22 to 9.5%
- FY22 CPI Inflation target lowered to 5.3%
- Suhas Yathiraj: 1st IAS officer to win Paralympics medal
- Avani Lekhara: 1st Indian woman to win 2 Paralympic medals
- Neeraj Chopra, a 23-year-old javelin thrower, created history on August 7, 2021 by winning Gold Medal in men’s javelin throw final at Tokyo Olympics 2020.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 6, 2021 announced that the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award has been renamed as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award.
- PV Sindhu, a 26-year-old badminton player, has become first Indian woman to win two Olympic medals after defeating ‘He Bingjiao’ of China.
- On 18th July, 2021, Lewis Hamilton of United Kingdom has won the Formula One British Grand Prix at Silverstone for a record eighth time.
- Italy has won second European Championship trophy after defeating England by 3-2 in penalty shoot-out in final of Euros 2020 trophy at Wembley Stadium in London.
- Novak Djokovic has won his 6th Grand Slam Wimbledon Tennis Championship Title 2021.
- Novak Djokovic has won his 19th Grand Slam title in French open 2021 in Men’s single category at Roland Garros in Paris [June 2021]
- Italian Open, 2021 was won by Rafael Nadal. This is his tenth title of the Rome Masters. [May 2021]
Awards & Honors
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi have been named among 100 most influential people of 2021 by the Time Magazine
- Bangladeshi scientist, Dr Firdausi Qadri, won the Ramon Magsaysay Award.
- The founder of the Serum Institute of India (SII) in Pune, businessman Cyrus Poonawalla has been named the winner of the prestigious National Lokmanya Tilak Award 2021. [July 2021]
- Shyamala Ganesh, a Bengaluru-based Japanese teacher, was recently awarded the “Order of the Rising Sun” by the Japanese government. [May 2021]
- Rekha Sharma as Chairperson of the National Commission for Woman (NCW) [Aug 2021]
- Amitabh Kant as CEO of NITI Aayog [July 2021]
- Isaac Herzog as President of Israel [June 2021]
- Suresh Chandra Mohapatra as Chief Secretary of Odisha [Dec 2020]
- Bhupendra Patel sworn in as the Chief Minister of Gujarat on September 13, 2021.
- Indian government approved the appointment of Dr. Dhriti Banerjee as new director of ZSI. [Aug 2021]
- BJP leader Basavaraj S Bommai has been selected as the 23rd chief minister of Karnataka and will take his oath on 28th July, 2021
- On 27th July, 2021 IPS officer Rakesh Asthana has been appointed as the Commissioner of Delhi Police.
- The Ministry of Law and Justice has launched a Pan-India Special Campaign called “Ek Pahal Drive” for Justice Delivery at doorstep on September 17, 2021
- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, launched Vidyanjali Portal and several other initiatives in the education sector on September 7, 2021.
- Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik, announced that his government will provide smart health cards under Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana. Key Points Smart health cards will be provided to 3.5 crore people in 96 lakh families in the state.
- Balaram Yojana: Odisha government has launched BalaramYojana to provide agricultural credit of Rs 1,040 crore to landless farmers who are facing hardships due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- World Biofuel Day is observed on 10th August every year
- World Tribal Day or International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed on 9th August every year
- National Youth Day is held every year on 12th January to observe the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- Javelin throw day will be celebrated every year On 7th August, in honour of Olympic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra
- On 20th July International Chess Day is celebrated.
- International Literacy Day is observed on September 8 every year in a bid to remind the importance of literacy for individuals, communities and societies.
Science & Tech
- Recently, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) suffered the loss of an important earth observation satellite (EOS-03) during launch when the GSLV rocket carrying it malfunctioned about five minutes from the lift-off. (August 2021)
- Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Anurag Singh Thakur, launched the Fit India Mobile Application on the occasion of celebrating second anniversary of Fit India Movement. [Aug 2021]
- Web version of e-GOPALA application was launched on August 28, 2021. Key Points Web version of e-GOPALA has been developed by National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
- According to a new study by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), India has the highest number of snakebite cases in the world, accounting for nearly 50% of the global snakebite deaths.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the school education programme Samagra Shiksha Scheme 2.0 till the 2025-26 financial year.It is an integrated scheme for school education covering the entire gamut from pre-school to class XII. It aims to deliver inclusive, equitable, and affordable school education.
- Oscar 2021 ♦ Best Picture: Nomadland
♦ Best Director: Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
♦ Best Actress: Frances McDormand, Nomadland
♦ Best Actor: Anthony Hopkins, The Father
- e-RUPI: Voucher Based Digital Payment System. The Indian government is going to launch an electronic voucher based digital payment system e-RUPI.